Fit for a Princess: A Custom Block Print Duvet Cover

Lulu DK for Schumacher

Printing a larger piece like a duvet cover was something I had always wanted to try, but was very intimidated by.

Block printing on large scale fabric is not an easy task. It’s hard to see the overall design while you’re working on it, and you really have to pay attention.

So when I was asked to design a custom duvet cover for a little girl’s room, I said heck yes!

The client for this project was a family who was redesigning multiple rooms in their house, as well as their 12 year old daughter’s room.

Since she was getting a little older and was becoming more design aware, they were letting her help with the details of the room.

The notes I got said that she wanted a mix of floral and geometric designs for the duvet.

She also wanted to incorporate some handmade art, so it was a perfect fit to have my hand printed fabric for the duvet.

When I’m designing my pattern, I always take into account everything else in the space. Color, texture, lines, the client, and the overall style goal are all things I consider.

Below you can see some of the ideas they had for the bed frame and the upholstered bench for the bedroom.


Initially I did a mix of floral patterns with a few geometric shapes thrown in, and they liked them, but were having a hard time committing to one.

The mixture of the soft and geometric lines were really fun to play with. I drew out probably 15 different design ideas for this project.

I used the image below as inspiration for some of the patterns I originally designed, although I won’t show them all here.

Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 10.56.04 PM.png

After the little girl changed her mind 3 times on the pattern, I had an idea.

The interior designers mentioned that she liked chevron patterns, so I made one last design to send over that was a simple chevron with a few geometric pieces thrown in.

Immediately she chose that one and stuck with it!

Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 10.41.42 PM.png

So finally we had settled on a design. Sometimes that’s the hardest part!

I’ve noticed that a lot of people have a hard time visualizing the end result (in this case, the printed duvet), so that’s why I try to send digital mockups before I start making anything by hand. Saves lots of time :)

Next they told me that they wanted to print it in a gold ink. Not all metallic inks are created equal, so I did a little testing and ended up picking a bright gold ink that really sparkled when you printed it.


The blocks were pretty straight forward to carve. I just had to try and keep things straight since we were working with geometric shapes.

Once I had the ink and the blocks ready to go I just had to do some measuring to get the spacing down.

I spent a few days very carefully block printing the duvet along with 2 pillow shams. It was a little harder than straight fabric because it was already sewn and I had multiple layers of to deal with, but it came out great!

The end result of this room was just stunning. I think the decision to block print the duvet in only geometric shapes worked out perfectly and really brought the whole space together.

Lucky little girl!